Saturday, May 28, 2011

Striped



 I've been having a love affair with stripes lately. Is it just me or do nautical stripes become trendy every single summer? As soon as the weather hints at warming up, I suddenly see images of people in pretty navy stripes standing all sunkissed by the dock. And every single year it sucks me in.

It's been cold here - too cold and rainy I tell you! - so I've lately been rocking a very cozified version of the stripes look. Kind of like this outfit above from Totokaelo,  but without the heels, the purse, the skininess and the overall clean, stylish vibe.

Memorial Day weekend has arrived though, and I'm hoping that means that summer isn't too far away. So I should probably be updating my stripe warbrobe to include less hats, scarves and overall wool content.  For instance, I should knit this Madewell top for myself in cotton....

Scenic-Stripe Top 

That is if the idea of figuring out all those multi-directional stripes didn't make my brain hurt!
But I could at least go for more summery bright colors in my outfits like this one... 


 Massimo Dutti shoes - Levis jeans - Zara blazer - Zara t-shirt - wayfarer rayban


This outfit looks decently warm enough to pull off in the near future, except I wonder if I only like it because of the major jealousy I am feeling for  her hair...

Regardless, my brain is whirling for ideas for striped knit things. But then I start thinking of the whole "dealing with all those yarn ends" problem. I've knit a few striped things in the past, and they never come out quite as nice as the fine gauge machine knit items. Hmmm...What do you think out there, fellow knitters? Are striped summer tops worth knitting? Any ideas?

While I mull this over, here is another manufactured striped item I came across, which seems rather apt for this weekend. The Grill Power Dress!